6.09.2005

inch by inch

Pulling weeds and pickin' stones
We are made from dreams and bones
Find a spot to call my own
'Cause the time is close at hand

Grain for grain
sun and rain
Find my way in nature's chain
Tune my body and my brain
To the music from the land

from Inch by Inch, John Denver

I love these lyrics. Three year old has a kids' cd with this song, and even when he's not in the car, I listen to it over and over.

Pulled out all my beautiful and exotic papers to make books today. I lovingly matched colors, gently ripped papers to create soft edges, pulled the sticky sheets over the boards to reveal the finished covers - lovely.

So satisfying, to think all the while of the person each book is for, to think of her uncovering the tissue I will wrap it in, I imagine her gasping at the thought of how much I love her and cherishing this object of my affection. It humbles even me. One of the recipients is one of the hardest people in my life to love, but something in me still wants to do this for her. I made hers out of pink and red Japanese paper with golden flowers.

It also just feels good to use my hands, to connect my brain with my eyes in a way I normally don't. Doing this makes me feel healed, helps me remember the person in me who sees beauty and loves the universe.

Perhaps I don't need meds after all. Perhaps I don't even need a counselor.

Maybe I'll make these books and sell them. Dreaming, never stop dreaming.

No comments: